Monday, January 24, 2011

What is your style?

Help!  What is my decorating style?  Where do I belong?? I have had a ton of people asking me questions about decor lately and reading another one of my favorite blogs sparked my interest on this topic. Whether you love Traditional, Contemporary, Country, Shabby Chic, Modern, Minimalist, Rustic, etc there is a category we all fit into.  Or is there? I once considered myself more French formal but have really been drawn to a more relaxed romantic style lately. Everything once had to be heavy silks and crushed velvet now is changing to crisp linens. I couldn't get enough golds and damask prints at one point, but now enjoy old family black and white pictures in mismatched gold frames. I have been working on revamping my super formal gold dining room to white and cream tones. Just some simple touches and junk findings mixed in with my old favorites, makes my evolving style mine.

 Formal French
More relaxed french country


 It seems like my taste is always evolving, maybe the movement towards a casual style has to do with reality. Reality meaning that I have a child, husband, and 4 dogs!  I remember getting my very own first apartment and painting the walls moss green and picking sofas upholstered with a coordinating waverly green/red floral print. Now...that color palate would be the last I would choose. I cannot believe that it was even ME! 

Finally, I have come to realize that it is ok to love and embrace all styles in your home even if they all don't fit into one category. Nothing is "set in stone" or "the right way". Your decorating style is not defined by "categories", but by a combination of different pieces that you have gathered over time and love. Nothing is less creative than copying the pages of pottery barn and filling your home like the showroom. This means it may be a contemporary couch paired with burlap pillows or your hand me down bedroom set amongst shabby chic linens. As long as it represents you and what you love, then that is all that matters. Enjoy your own personal special style, it is yours and it is different.  I prefer to keep mine undefined, but unmistakably me.

2 comments:

  1. Love this - my style continues to evolve and change...just keeps us busy decorating :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think creative people have tendancy to change things...and it doesn't have to be a major change, as you say....maybe just new pillows and curtains, a few simple touches. Your pictures illustrate this so well !

    ReplyDelete