Monday, October 11, 2010





Here is a tribute post to the farewell weekend of "Finch Cottage". I grew up summering at a cottage which has made a huge impact on my life. The cottage is situated in a very special beach community, with beautiful views and very special people. After my grandmother passed, my family no longer called it "Grandma's Cottage" and it took on the name "Finch Cottage". Over the years, each of our individual families acquired homes in this beach community of our own, but kept "Finch Cottage" split within the family. Recently, a mutual agreement was made to sell the cottage because of the upkeep required. The home sold within a day! 
A bitter sweet ending to years spent and the many memories made in this special place. Because we called it Finch Cottage, my family has a special place in our hearts for little Yellow Finch birds, as it represents a symbolic message of family and my grandmother. My mother and I made these Finch feeders as a follow up to my last post. They were inspired by Martha Stewart (see previous post), but made special by us.

Rose of Sharon was used for feeding perches. We hung a few from my back deck this afternoon from thin sisal rope at different levels for added interest.


Yellow finches, also called gold or American finches, are yellow colored birds with a black cap on top of their heads. In the summer, the male finches sport a bright yellow color, while in the winter their feathers fade and appear more like the females with more dulled yellow and brownish looking feathers. Yellow finches are a welcome guest to any yard and there are ways to attract them. Yellow finches eat thistle seed, so the best way to attract the birds is to provide them with the food they like to eat.




A sneak peak for tomorrow's post!


1 comment:

  1. these feeders are an inspiration..what a beautifl idea and tribute

    ReplyDelete